Skip to main content

Life Lessons on Mission: Fear & Control by Jesse Barney



Recently, I have been working to teach my daughter and son how to ride a bike. My daughter, who jumps into everything with both feet, took to it like a duck to water. It took very little time and she was off on her own zooming around on her bike. My son, who is very analytic and thinks about all possible outcomes, was more difficult. He took much longer because he was afraid that he would crash into something or fall off. Many times he would try and jump off the bike when it was still going which placed him in a much more dangerous position than just sitting and riding the bike. The one statement that I said to him numerous times was, “don’t be controlled by fear!”

I can see myself in the various personality traits of my children. I, like my daughter, tend to jump on an opportunity when I see it. I have traveled to China, Thailand, India, and Europe as an ESL teacher. I never knew my mother tongue would afford opportunities to travel the world and meet people. It’s only when we take the opportunity that is available that we can ever learn and grow. In each of these trips God has made me more of a student than a teacher.

One of the major things He has taught me, is to expect the unexpected.  This is a life lesson that goes beyond mission trips.  God has granted me the privilege to work overseas as a teacher, marry an artist, help raise three children, and work in the aviation industry as a person who is responsible for thousands of lives each day. Each of these experiences has taught me that complete control is an illusion. It may seem like you are in control in life but there are always circumstances that take things out of your hands and put them in Gods. In almost all of my mission experiences God has put me in a situation where I am doing something that I did not come prepared to do. Sometimes the greatest experiences were the things I was the least comfortable with doing. I have been able to be involved with witnessing to people who didn’t speak the same language, play soccer with orphans who didn’t have any shoes, and have conversations with people who only barely spoke English. Be ready to take risks. Be ready to be out of your comfort zone. 

  The biggest lesson God has taught me through the years is it’s not about you, it’s about relationships. One of my biggest struggles is learning followership. In my job it’s very important to take control of a situation and fix anything that needs fixing. Unfortunately this isn’t usually very helpful towards creating healthy relationships. People want to be heard and valued, they don’t need someone to come in and “fix” them. Some of the most rewarding experiences that I’ve had are when I just spent time with a person. This is especially valuable to the missionary partners who are there for the long term. I’ve found spending time with their children and their families gives them a much needed taste of home. After living overseas by myself for over a year I remember how much just a little taste of home can mean. Be ready to sing with fellow Christians in their heart language. Be ready to be a follower. Be ready to love.

    So what happened with my son and his bike? He finally got the hang of it. This accomplishment has given him so much confidence. I see a very different boy now. One who was timid and scared is now bolder and ready to try new things. He asks me multiple times every day if we can go ride bikes. He loves riding bikes. During a recent sermon our pastor mentioned I John 4:18, there is no fear in love, but perfect love casts out fear. For fear has to do with punishment, and he who fears is not perfected in love.  Fear keeps us from accomplishing goals. It keeps us from growing. Our love of God and others should be the reason we boldly go into situations that we don’t control. Christ did not request we go into all the world, He commanded it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

God's Miracle in Valerie French

At 47 yrs old Valerie French had 2 massive strokes.  She couldn't walk or talk and was bedridden.  A lot of prayers went up for her.  Valerie wants everyone to know that God works miracles.  She couldn't talk but she worked in therapy and started walking.  She'd walk and walk.  She'd walk a mile a day.  Even though she could walk she still couldn't talk very well.  She also couldn't write.  Every day she'd try to write the alphabet for hours to practice.  Her strokes resulted in the non-use of her dominant right hand. She'd have her husband go to the library to get elementary school spelling books to learn to spell words again.  She said she lost the ability to do everything.  She had to relearn a lot.  She didn't even remember the names of her own children.  She relearned everything: how to eat, bathe, walk, talk, etc.   "God gave me the strength to keep working and working.  I couldn't pray like everybody else.  All I could do

Armenian Pastor Arman's War Testimony

  Hello Brothers and Sisters in Christ Jesus our Lord My name is Arman . I was born in Yerevan, capital city of Armenia. I am 41 years old. I am a follower of the Lord Jesus Christ already about 27 years. I have had Water Baptism in 19 95 , in the Armenian Baptist Church of Yerevan. I am married already over 17 years and we have a son of 12 and a daughter of 10. I want to share how God has saved my life and lives of those with me. As some of you already are informed, on 27 th of September, 2020, Azerbaijan (in the help of Turkey) started a War against Armenians, it attacked on Artsakh- Nagorno Karabakh Republic (de facto Independent Armenian Country) . Azerbaijan involved in this War military advisers. They had weapons and armored vehicles from Turkey. Special Islamist terroristic groups- mercenaries from Syria were brought to fight against Armenians from Syria. They used much more Unmanned Aerial Vehicles (UAV) (bought from Israel) also. It was really a terrible war, wh

Lessons During a Pandemic: What an 8-Year-Old Taught Our Family by Nathan Roberts

The more time I spend around my niece the more clear it becomes that God gifts us with the tremendous blessing of children, grandkids, or in my case a niece, not from what we can teach them, but more importantly what they teach us especially about life and our relationship with God. God continues to bless our family with my niece, MaryKatherine, who celebrated her 8th birthday last month at our family’s house. As many other households did when Sunday morning arrived, we began to prepare to worship in our family’s living room with the rest of our local church remotely through a streamed worship service over the internet. As our family began to gather for worship, MaryKatherine, when told to get ready because our family was having church that morning, responded that we couldn’t go to church that morning due to the virus outbreak. She even asked for her grandmother to quit saying that we were going to have church implying that her grandmother was saying something that wasn’t true