Skip to main content

The Great Commandment: Luke 10:25-37

 


The great commandment is also found in Mark 12 when a question is asked, "How can I  have eternal life?'  This is also in Matthew 22:34.  The parable we'll examine this morning, the parable of the Good Samaritan, probably comes in second place to the parable of the Prodigal Son.  It's a close second.  This is an important reading for us.  When I study the Bible it helps for me to check three boxes:

1) I need to be careful to read the passage in its entirety.  I need to observe the text in it's context.  Who are the characters?   What's the context?  This is a familiar story we are examining this morning and because it's familiar we can lose it's meaning.

2) The second box I check when I read Scripture is interpretation.  What's it mean?  Where is my curiosity stirred?  What questions come to me?  What does this passage teach me about God?  About humanity?  About who Jesus is?  What does God want me to know and do?  First I make observations and then interpretation.

3)  Finally I move to application.  I ask the question, "So what?"  What does this mean for me?  Does this challenge me to look at myself?  To look at God?  How does this passage move me to respond to God?  I hope this morning we can have fresh eyes to look at this passage together.

There's a danger in reading a passage out of context.  Notice in Luke's Gospel there's an attention to self-justification.  There's trouble with an expert in the law, an attorney.  Attorneys were experts in the law and this attorney knew the first five books of the Old Testament, the Law.  Jesus knows this attorney knows the law.  The attorney comes to test Jesus but he finds himself concerned as he is cornered by his own question.  He's looking for a theological loophole to justify himself.  Let's not throw too many stones just yet because we do this all the time.  We are all the attorney and this happens all the time.

I do a lot of weddings and years ago I was in Stokes County, where I'm from.  A bride to be took something out of context.  She asked me, "Are you gonna so that smitten thing?"  I didn't know what she was talking about.  I asked her if she can repeat her question.  In Stokes County, sometimes we make up words.  Sometimes my dad made up words on the farm that I couldn't repeat at the dinner table!  I finally realized this bride was asking me about submission.  I asked her if she's read Ephesians 5:21 where Paul tells all of us to submit to God.  This falls upon the leader of the home.  Once I cleaned up the context for her she understood.  We need to be careful that we read in context.

Verse 25 is the point of this parable.  This is a good feeling story.  If you do not read this in context it can give the impression that religion can lead us to self-justification.  The Good News, the Gospel, leads us to die to self.  Jesus asked about 150 questions in the Bible.  Jesus wants you and I and the hearers to discern something deeper.  The attorney's motives are exposed.  Jesus was being tested.  There's a red flag.  The attorney knows the law and is trying to trick Jesus.  The crowds that followed Jesus grew in size.  People were trying to hurt Jesus.  Good conversations are led by good questions.

What's the focus of the parable?  Now we come to the application part.  What will I do with this?  It's a feel good story, so I'll go help people.  Paul says we are not saved by good works but FOR good works.  The expert in the law wanted compassion without repentance.  If he was really seeking God he would have asked, "How can I be a better or more loving neighbor?"  In Luke 18 a tax collector asked God to have mercy on him, a sinner.  The religious pray lofty prayers, but we can pray, "God, have mercy on me, a sinner."  Some think they have all the right theological answers.  None of us can follow the law perfectly.  The bridge we need to help us live better is Jesus Christ.  Jesus Christ loved us first and His grace enables us to do what the attorney missed.  Jesus makes right our imperfections.  God makes it right.

The last several months we've been working on finding a way to live a new normal.  We've had some imperfect times.  I remember when I got a call about a funeral.  We had eight funerals in 6-7 weeks.  I went to a home where a father died and his children were there.  I had trained myself not to touch anyone.  When I arrived I asked if it was ok to enter the house, or to meet on the porch.    We met on the back porch and the daughter was so stricken with grief she was wailing in tears.  I folded my hands together.  I had my mask on.  I heard her grief.  She almost fell to the floor but her brother came to help her up.  When I left it hit me as I drove home that I never touched her.  I missed the ministry of touch.  Yes, I need to respect the virus and I do.  Sometimes God makes us perfect when we are imperfect.  Did I miss something?  I went back the next day to plan the funeral.  One of the daughters talked about her father for over 20 minutes, how he was going to teach her to drive a stick shift.  After she spoke the wailing began.  This time I sat my water bottle down; I put my phone in my pocket and I laid my hands on the grieving daughter.  God made it right.  God took my imperfections and made them right.  We don't always touch people, but God gives His people the nudge they need when they need it.  Christ loved us first. and enables us to respond to Him.  God makes our imperfections right.  My last question today is, "When might your next roadside call be?"

Sermon notes are taken, transcribed and posted by Jeni Martin Johnson.  Sermon by Mark Hall.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

God's Miracle in Valerie French

At 47 yrs old Valerie French had 2 massive strokes.  She couldn't walk or talk and was bedridden.  A lot of prayers went up for her.  Valerie wants everyone to know that God works miracles.  She couldn't talk but she worked in therapy and started walking.  She'd walk and walk.  She'd walk a mile a day.  Even though she could walk she still couldn't talk very well.  She also couldn't write.  Every day she'd try to write the alphabet for hours to practice.  Her strokes resulted in the non-use of her dominant right hand. She'd have her husband go to the library to get elementary school spelling books to learn to spell words again.  She said she lost the ability to do everything.  She had to relearn a lot.  She didn't even remember the names of her own children.  She relearned everything: how to eat, bathe, walk, talk, etc.   "God gave me the strength to keep working and working.  I couldn't pray like everybody else.  All I could do

Armenian Pastor Arman's War Testimony

  Hello Brothers and Sisters in Christ Jesus our Lord My name is Arman . I was born in Yerevan, capital city of Armenia. I am 41 years old. I am a follower of the Lord Jesus Christ already about 27 years. I have had Water Baptism in 19 95 , in the Armenian Baptist Church of Yerevan. I am married already over 17 years and we have a son of 12 and a daughter of 10. I want to share how God has saved my life and lives of those with me. As some of you already are informed, on 27 th of September, 2020, Azerbaijan (in the help of Turkey) started a War against Armenians, it attacked on Artsakh- Nagorno Karabakh Republic (de facto Independent Armenian Country) . Azerbaijan involved in this War military advisers. They had weapons and armored vehicles from Turkey. Special Islamist terroristic groups- mercenaries from Syria were brought to fight against Armenians from Syria. They used much more Unmanned Aerial Vehicles (UAV) (bought from Israel) also. It was really a terrible war, wh

Pressing Through Adversity: Luke 4:16-30

We are in summer, not according to the calendar, but school is out.  I always enjoyed summer reading programs while I was growing up.  The bookmobile even came to my street. One way we communicate is through books.  As we read we learn new vocabulary and we learn.  Even what we're doing now is communicating.  A sermon or preaching is  something we don't have in other aspects of our lives.  Preaching allows us to work through a passage of scripture.  What's so significant about preaching?  Some say preaching won't last in our culture.  The reasons why we communicate in sermons is this is how Jesus communicated.    Jesus taught and spoke to people.  Jesus was a preacher.  One of the main ways Jesus communicated was through preaching when Jesus was in his public ministry.  Jesus was so influential that even people who didn't believe He was God called him, "Rabbi" which means teacher.  Preaching can convict us and take us to a place that's uncomfortable.